Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Step Twenty Seven: Paper cut stories

Dearest Sylwi,


After my post a couple of weeks ago, where I used an image and quote in my papercut, I was curious to explore that idea further this week. I don't know why, but I was particularly curious to see if paper cutting could be more sculptural, almost 3D. Can't really explain why! :-) So, I set out today to explore how that could be achieved.




Using a rough sketch of a bird cage, I realised I could cut it out carefully (all except the very bottom) and fold the cage up up off the page... and then, I wondered if the same could be done with words. It can! The words stand up all by themselves. The cage, I helped slightly by sellotaping fine wire (bead wire) to the back - just to give it some backbone! :-) 


The words, "If not now, then when?" are particularly strong in my mind just now. I'm thinking of signing up to a few things, but keep putting off the committment. On the one hand, I think, 'if not now, then when?'. On the other hand, I think, when the time is right, I'll commit! :-) (Hopefully, that's not just a terrible excuse to procrastinate more!) 


So, those are the words I chose to work with today. It was really fun to use what was on my mind! Very therapeutic and satisfying to get it out into paper! 




The tree symbolises the freedom and relieved state that I'll feel when I finally break free from the things that hold me back. Sometimes, it's comfortable to stay where you are - it's familiar and it's easy. However, the freedom you experience when you break out from your 'bird cage' is a far more beautiful and natural state. 


As usual, I wish I had longer to draw out the idea first and then spend time doing a quality papercut. I'm not going to beat myself up too much though. I'm learning and exploring every week and I'm really enjoying it. It's such a luxury. No brief, not rules... just going with the flow! :-)




As a final experiment, I cut the paper into a strip, with the paper cut sticking up from it. When I bent the strip into coils, or scrolls, I loved how it sort of created a story, a sort of scene. I'd love to do either a bigger sculpture, with lots of scrolls or shapes and words... or alternatively, do teeny ones - almost like quilling, but with text and landscapes popping up from the coils! :-) In the pic above, I supported the curve with an old loo roll! hee hee! But obviously, if I was doing it properly, I'd have to use a thicker paper, or find some way of creating beautiful curves with the paper (with wire maybe, or glue)... hmmm, not sure how!


Or maybe I'm going crazy... I'm pretty tired now, it's late - I'm not normally this late posting (you might even beat me to posting today! ha ha!) I can't believe how fast today has gone by! Hope you're having a lovely day. Can't wait to see what you come up with! 


Ohhh, I almost forgot. I couldn't get a decent photo of the paper cut today. It was so frustrating, but it's so dark here today (raining all day) and it's not the easiest thing to photo! :-(


{Also, can you believe we've passed the halfway mark already?!} :-)


Lots of love
Fi
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment