Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Step Twenty: A bizarre creation...

Dear Fi,

I had a plan. I had a good plan for today’s post. As you know Dear Fi, I started Susannah’s e-course last week, so I decided to create a cover for the binder I am using for this class. I took nice pictures, and I had an idea for a design I wanted to add on the binder’s cover. In Canada we had a long weekend. Everything was set up, my mom and my husband’s parents were supposed to take our children for the weekend, so we could finally:

1. relax
2. study (me)
3. build the stairs for our patio (S.)
4. clean our messy house (together)
5. relax
* and about 100 other things; going to the movies included, and taking tons of pictures, not to mention my clever plan of creating a binder cover and writing this post over the weekend... 

Instead, Amelie got a sky-high fever and she couldn’t go. Then Bruno came back also sick, and voilà... my plans changed. I decided to go for a 10 minute painting, have it done fast and then take care of my post to school, and go to bed early.

I regret now that I didn’t record my progress, I should have been taking pictures of the entire process of this bizarre creation. First, it was supposed to be "white on white". So I started to glue different pieces of paper and paint over in different shadows of white, ivory, and cream. If I had ended then I would have been done a long time ago. Instead, I watched as my hand opened a jar of red paint and very quickly painted a half circle in the right upper corner. Oops... Then I decided to add some stamps... of course it didn’t turn out as I imagined, so I couldn’t just leave it! I decided to add some grays and silver to balance the two heavy corners. However, instead of creating an interesting “something” he, he it turned out to look like I just stepped on my piece with dirty shoes... I didn’t like it. This is how cobalt teal got involved he, he. I needed some strong colour to cover the mess I created. Then came the gold stripes from an old Czech book bought for $1 at my local library together with ten other books (which I often use in my work). And then as I was almost ready to take a picture and to scan, I got crazy with a permanent black pen and started to draw some bizarre shapes all over. I couldn’t leave them... so I added more painting. This is when I finally said, “No more, that is it, bizarre as it is, I don’t care anymore.”

Dear Fi, I have no clue what this is about, but I’m happy it’s done ;)

By the way... our twentieth post!!! can you imagine? and we are still going he, he... Even though I feel lately like writing these posts is a heavy chore for me, and like (as it happened today) I have no clue where I am heading with my creations, I can tell you that every Tuesday I am double curious - first, because I cannot wait to see what you came up with, and second, because I usually have no idea what I will end up doing for my post...

:*

Sylvia

No comments:

Post a Comment